Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Its a Boy, Elias Andrew

Today I had an appointment for my routine ultrasound. During that appointment Corey and I learned that our child has a disorder called anencephaly. Anencephaly is a cephalic disorder that results from a neural tube defect that occurs when the cephalic (head) end of the neural tube fails to close, usually between the 23rd and 26th day of pregnancy, resulting in the absence of a major portion of the brain, skull and scalp. Everything is developing- his heart is beating very strongly and he is moving his arms and legs. We went back to see a high risk doctor the following day to confirm the diagnosis. I also had blood work done and my protein levels were eight times above the average number.

The first doctor recommended we terminate pregnancy immediately. It was a lot to understand at that moment. Corey and I asked some questions and knew we needed to seek a second opinion. I knew after seeing my child's heart beat, his activity, and everything else about him, that our little boy is a special living child created by God. We have decided to carry this little boy, Elias Andrew, full term. There is no hope for survival. He will either be born still, live a few minutes, hours, or days; but will only be with us for a short amount of time. I have the uttermost peace knowing that God is calling me to be his servant in this and that he will see us through. I pray that I glorify Him and that only HIS will be done.

1 comment:

Anitra said...

Your obedience to God is amazing and I LOVE his name!